* At the end of August / early September we spent some time in Georgia, visiting Melissa’s parents. Being on the road across Georgia state was rather pleasant, since back in NYC we’re mostly used to simply taking subway or bicycle rides. Almost every night was spent on a different house, sleeping on different beds. Mom’s house. Cousin’s house. Dad’s house. Found out that Colonel Sanders (the icon of Kentucky Fried Chicken) was a real person. Watching the end of “Overboard” (the original 1987 film with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn) was a wonderful moment we shared.
* “The bureau wants to control, not to comprehend” said Dr. Raya Underhill (a fictitious character)
* The Amazon jungle is burning. Bolsonaro, like imbecile Trump, just adds fuel to a fire.
* Around 3:30am. Melissa sleeps soundly. So quiet, except for the buzz of the fridge. While I was in bed I asked myself: “What do you want?” and I thought for a second and answered: “exercise, play, love”.
* It was nice to host for a few days Alessio, Yunsun, Anouk and Romy. Some of the finest people from Italy and Korea to the world. “Ti Mangia, Ti Mangia” said Romy while playing with a puffy toy tiger.
* In the last couple of weeks and all around the world there have been extreme heat waves breaking temperature records. A hellish reminder of how real Global Warming is and humanity as a whole still the main factor behind it.
* Both my niece and nephew were in NYC (with my sister Monica and Alejandro). It was quite a change of pace to share a small Brooklyn apartment with all of them. One of the highlights was 4th of July at Luna Park / Coney Island. And watching the women’s world cup final (soccer is always fun).
* Analog tape saturation or tube saturation…. warmth and harmonics in a digital world!
* We spent a couple of weeks out of NYC visiting Bogota (Colombia), Cusco (Peru) and Machu Pichu (Peru). It was wonderful time to watch soccer (Copa America, Women’s World Cup), hang out with friends (Chusco, Andres, German), share with sisters and mom (Monica, Juliana, Nidia), treating my godfather / godmother to lunch (Juan / Edith), eating like a hungry hippo, enjoying long walks and mountain hikes with Melissa…..
* There’s a new book called “Rockonomics: A Backstage Tour of What the Music Industry Can Teach Us about Economics and Life”. The late author Alan B. Krueger, a highly respected economist was found dead in his home earlier this year.
* First soccer game I remember watching with my parents and their friends was back in 1993 when Colombia won 5-0 defeating Argentina during a qualifying match for USA ’94 World Cup (in the actual tournament Colombia didn’t do that good)
* A few nights ago I dreamt of President Trump. His face didn’t even had eyes or nose or mouth. Just a yellow wig resembling his hair. The reason his face didn’t have eyes, nose or mouth was because his whole head was a giant testicle, with veins bursting with rage.
* First real synthesizer that I saw in person and was able to play was a Yamaha SY77 that was being displayed at my local shopping mall (Cosmocentro) back in 1991.
* We met at a bar five (5) years ago…. (^_^)!
* First episode of “Game of Thrones” aired on April 17, 2011. Even though I prefer movies over tv series, around the time Melissa and I met in 2014 was when I got hooked by the series. Had to start watching from the beginning to really understand who was who and where was where, that winter is coming and may last for years. Ice walls and arid deserts. Castles and forests. Dragon eggs….. baby dragons?
* “Was there no Life before there was Twitter? Was it stodgy, lackluster or bitter? I find Life too fleeting. To spend time in Tweeting, I’m a face-to-face kind of a critter!” – poem by Larry Eisenberg who recently died age 99.
* Albert Einstein didn’t spend a lot of time thinking about clothes. Didn’t bother with socks. Had long hair to minimize the time spent at a barber. Kept it simple so he could spend time and energy on other more important endeavors.
* A Boeing 737 Max 8 airplane crashed in Indonesia back in November 2018. Another identical airplane crashed in Ethiopia in early March 2019. Both airplanes were forced into a dive by faulty automated systems. Damn the FAA and Boeing’s greed and blood money. Last words of one of the pilots was “God is great”.
* Last time my sister Juliana was in NYC was back in 2013. Aguardiente (sin azúcar) is her drink of choice. The Peruvian pipe that she got me years ago has come in handy. Her laughter is just a glimpse of her wonderful energy.