* It’s almost the end of January, the month that Melissa refers to as “the Monday” of the year. Recently had a memory trip back to 1989, 1999 and 2009… as 2019 was coming to an end. What was I doing, where I was at, on each particular year. Can’t recall much of 1979, but pretty sure that was a good year.
* The original “Dungeons And Dragons” was first published in 1974 by TSR (Tactical Studies Rules), originally designed by Gary Gygax and Dave Ardenson, a pen and paper fantasy RPG (role playing game). Personally I’ve never been a fan of tabletop games but can’t deny the fascination I had as kid with Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny.
* Recent news recap: global scare of a new pandemic, impeachment trial of a wannabe dictator, democratic left-wing candidate gaining steam, my grandma turned 89 years old.
* First time I read HP Lovecraft stories was around 20 years ago. One theme of his stories is that humans are at the mercy of the cosmos, not of gods or supernatural forces, but simply the cosmos.
* Both our dads were in town. As usual I spent more time with Melissa’s dad since he was staying in Brooklyn. My dad was somewhere in New Jersey and came to Manhattan on a Saturday afternoon. Love them both.
* “What? What is this? I… can’t remember, not a thing… only, I feel… a yearning, something I’ve never felt before… what’s happening to me? Tell me hunter, could this be joy?” quote from Bloodborne – the Doll in the Hunter’s Dream
* On Thursday night Melissa joined me for “Fractured Worlds: the art of Death Stranding” exhibit. On display were paintings, music+videos, photographs, a life size statue of Norman Reedus (playing Sam Porter Bridges).
* Afterward we had a wonderful italian dinner. Then walked to Best Buy and picked up the PS4 Limited Edition of “Death Stranding”
* Hideo Kojima is really a genius
* Work troubles creeping into my sleep, woke me up around 5am. Made coffee and read some news and watches a set of short videos on YouTube. Since it’s Saturday I went back to bed next to Melissa and fell into deep sleep.
* Dreamt that I was inside an action horror RPG video game. Inspired by “Bloodborne” and “Dark & Demon Souls” series, horrible sounds and scary monsters. But I was amused. At one moment I saw myself in a mirror and my hair was again “mushroom” long.
* Used my mobile phone camera to spot hidden monsters around a kitchen kind of room. Found a backyard where more creatures were gathered together around a fire. And I yelled at them: “You guys are too low resolution, I’m going back inside”.
* At the end of August / early September we spent some time in Georgia, visiting Melissa’s parents. Being on the road across Georgia state was rather pleasant, since back in NYC we’re mostly used to simply taking subway or bicycle rides. Almost every night was spent on a different house, sleeping on different beds. Mom’s house. Cousin’s house. Dad’s house. Found out that Colonel Sanders (the icon of Kentucky Fried Chicken) was a real person. Watching the end of “Overboard” (the original 1987 film with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn) was a wonderful moment we shared.
* “The bureau wants to control, not to comprehend” said Dr. Raya Underhill (a fictitious character)
* The Amazon jungle is burning. Bolsonaro, like imbecile Trump, just adds fuel to a fire.
* Around 3:30am. Melissa sleeps soundly. So quiet, except for the buzz of the fridge. While I was in bed I asked myself: “What do you want?” and I thought for a second and answered: “exercise, play, love”.
* It was nice to host for a few days Alessio, Yunsun, Anouk and Romy. Some of the finest people from Italy and Korea to the world. “Ti Mangia, Ti Mangia” said Romy while playing with a puffy toy tiger.
* In the last couple of weeks and all around the world there have been extreme heat waves breaking temperature records. A hellish reminder of how real Global Warming is and humanity as a whole still the main factor behind it.
* Both my niece and nephew were in NYC (with my sister Monica and Alejandro). It was quite a change of pace to share a small Brooklyn apartment with all of them. One of the highlights was 4th of July at Luna Park / Coney Island. And watching the women’s world cup final (soccer is always fun).
* Analog tape saturation or tube saturation…. warmth and harmonics in a digital world!