* A few nights ago I dreamt that I was helping a little girl close the wood window shutters of a big house. A storm was coming. Also dreamt of David Bowie (late 90’s?). Had another dream with Melissa in a huge mansion with an overhead window in the shower. Sometimes in dreams we get to fly, but think this time was first ever I was an actual fighter aircraft pilot, flying really fast through a canyon (kind of those cheese 80’s movies, or maybe “Independence Day”?). During a year in lock-down, dreams was the farther we could go.
* The year of 2020 was horrible for lots of people. Number of reasons, starting with COVID-19 global epidemic, political unrest, civil and human rights abuses, economic hardships, suicide, homelessness, misery worldwide. But I am grateful that together we pulled through and feel hopeful for 2021 and beyond.
* “What is friendship but a chance encounter” – Patches the Spider in Bloodborne
* On election day I worked at a voting place as an “spanish” interpreter. An extremely long, exhausting, surreal first day of a surreal week.
* Drinking Japanese sake while Melissa watches some streaming service TV show (“The Queen”). COVID-19 cases once again going up, but at least the prospects of effective vaccines gives humanity hope.
* Recently a TV show got a lot of people interested in Chess, including Melissa who is now playing daily. Chess is probably the only board game that I actually enjoy, even though I’m terrible at it. Fond memories of playing Chess with my Dad when I was a kid (^_^)
* It was refreshing to both body and mind to be away on vacation. Instead of visiting JFK to catch a plane that would takes us to a far away land, we simply took the subway to Manhattan (Lower East Side, Liberty and Ellis islands, MET Museum) and Queens (Rocakways Beach).
* My dad turned 70. Zoom birthday wishes. Sake, wine and beer.
* “Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the liberal conscience of America’s Supreme Court, died on September 18th, aged 87” – as written in The Economist
* Gray hairs on my beard and eyebrows are getting more abundant. Discovered that “high-waisted” pants are much more comfortable (don’t crush my balls). Linen pants are awesome in summer.
* Barack Obama’s speech during the DNC was a masterclass. Deep, focused and inspiring. Joe Biden’s speech was moving, truthful and the best of his life. Both men are close friends. Obama, one of the best presidents ever, fully supporting his friend, which I hope, for the sake of humanity, will be our next president.
* “It takes guts to be gentle and kind” – The Smiths (sung by Morrisey)
* The whole world is in disarray. A global disease outbreak still ravaging the world. Endless political gridlock (left vs right – instead of understanding and compromise). Chinese concentration camps….
* Black Lives Matter protests are still going on across the country. The yellow inept wannabe dictator engaged in political theater by sending “law and order” federal forces to various cities. Less than 100 days for a presidential election that will determine the fate of millions of people.
* John Lewis, lifetime civil rights activist, congressman of Georgia since 1987, died of cancer at age 80.
* Melissa and I have been once again running early in the mornings. Our “romantic runs” are the best way to start any day (^_^)
* Melissa gave me a set of graphic novels (sex criminals) and a photograph book (the americans). At the post office there was an overly nice British lady talking to everyone. In return the USPS clerks were also overly nice. Sunshine on my face feels great. “Raiders of the Lost Ark” movie, martini, steak and pie. Best birthday ever!
* “George Floyd, security guard and trucker, was asphyxiated by a Minneapolis police officer on May 25th, aged 46” as written on “The Economist” magazine obituaries.
* Memorial Day weekend, a monday holiday. Yesterday the NY Times had a front-page with just words: one thousand (1.000) names of Americans who died of COVID-19 during the last 3 months. Just a very small percentage of USA’s official tally (or worldwide numbers). But every single one is gone, no more sunshine in their faces.
* We’ve been under lock-down rules for a few months already. Going out to get groceries, wearing a face-mask, as most people do (however not everyone does). A police car going around the neighborhood asking people to stay indoors or keep at least 6ft distance between each other. We’re inside a Stephen King novel (or a new Netflix series…)
* On Sunday, while Melissa was still working (she’s working all the time), I had the backyard grill going with salmon, corn and asparagus. It was a nice spring dinner.
* Besides Hideo Kojima, there are two other Japanese game designers that I’ve discovered: Fumito Ueda (Shadow of the Colossus) and Hidetaka Miyasaki (Bloodborne). Their video games are excellent works of art.
* Mac Rumors reported that future Apple computers will use ARM-based processors. History repeats itself: CPUs from Motorola (68000s), IBM (PowerPC), Intel (devil inside)
* COVID-19, coronavirus, pandemic, lock-down, rising unemployment numbers, suicide as a way out, daily tally of ill and dead…. out every day news
* On March 11 the WHO (World Health Organization, not the band) declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic, which is defined as a disease epidemic that has spread across a large region, in this case the whole world (except Antarctica and the International Space Station)
* NYC seems to be the new hot-spot for COVID-19. However, New Orleans numbers are going up really fast. But in the end the official numbers could be way below reality. How many infected are at home under lock-down? Or afraid of going to a hospital because they lack health insurance? Dying alone?
* In 1991 when I graduated from high school I got a “Conan The Barbarian” comic. At one point in the story, Conan is about to engage in combat and yells “Crom! Count the dead!”
* Melissa is working crazy hours at OEM (Office of Emergency Management). She’s my all-time favorite super-hero.