* Sister Monica and Sister Juliana….. written like that sounds like they are nuns.
* In Charlottesville, VA a white supremacist drove his car fast towards a large group of people and killed a young woman, and injured many more. In Barcelona, Spain a religious extremist ran over people with a truck, murdering at least 13 people. White supremacists and religious extremists have something in common: their blind passionate hate of those who are different to them.
* Brief and sweet was the Brooklyn visit of Alessio, Yunsun, Anouk and Romie (which for a toddler has great dancing moves). Dylan and Angela hosted their farewell cookout. Tripping balls with weed gummy bears.
* First dream was with Alessio and Dylan, we attended a boat casino party. When we got back to the pier we were about to share a taxi. Second dream was with my sister Juliana and her friends. I was acting like the older yet cool brother. Last dream was inside a small apartment with russian hackers. Is possible that I was trying to help but screwed up instead… disconnecting the hacker’s dial-up connection.
* Women in power seem more sympathetic to common people. Too many dicks and assholes in congress and the most vile incompetent cunts in the white house. This past week two ladies and republican senators, Susan Collins (Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), voted “no” to an abomination of a bill that would have affected millions of people. The final blow came from John McCain (Arizona), a Vietnam war veteran, recently diagnosed with brain cancer, as he voted last and with a gesture of his hand and soft spoken “no” derailed 7 years of republican efforts to dismantle the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare).
* Melissa looked straight into my eyes and said “thank you for being my shield”. We’ve just got back from a rock concert, drunk, sweaty, tired and so in love with each other.
* Been having crazy dreams. In one Sir Roger Moore was around, frail and old but also young and elegant. He recently passed away at the age of 89. Another dream I was back to school, having a really hard time taking a written test. I couldn’t get my writing legible and it felt like my words were evaporating. This other dream I was naked and unable to find where I left my wristwatch behind, even though I seldom take it off.
* Two years ago Melissa and I got married, once at City Hall downtown Manhattan, and twice in Cartagena, if we count the impromptu blessing of the rings that all of the sudden became wedding ceremony too.
* LCD Soundsystem live performance at Brooklyn Steel was amazing. Their music penetrated every nook of our bodies… my muscles are still sore because all the dancing
* Soma FM and 3WK Underground are two internet only radio streaming websites. Both helped me endure working night shifts in the early 2000s. All year long the news cycle has been insane and exhausting, so I decided to tune out while diving into the ‘Drone Zone” of Soma FM. Soothing ambient music helping me to keep it cool, to breath slowly, to contemplate life, not as deep as on an acid trip, but good enough to be meaningful.
* When I finished reading Kurt Vonnegut’s “The Sirens of Titan” (a novel published back in 1959) Melissa was by my side streaming some tv show (either Fargo or The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) but shortly after reaching the last words of the novel’s epilogue I felt the need to lay my head on her legs to shed away a few tears.
* My mom’s last visit to NYC was back in early 2004 while winter was still on, then she even got to play in the snow a bit. This coming winter she’s expected to come again but not sure if she’s going to see snow this time around…… fuck global warming.
* We spent a couple of weeks traveling by plane, train and bus while touring around Switzerland and Italy. Last year our friends left NYC and re-settled in Florence, where Alessio is originally from. My sister Monica hinted that when the time comes (she means babies and stuff) maybe we would end up doing the same….
* Quite an interesting contrast between two cities that we loved, Zürich and Florence.
* “Fighting for freedom on television – Sharing the word with slaughtered pigs – Have we got everything?” – words by Robert Smith (the Cure) from the song ‘One Hundred Years’
* Everyday news have become increasingly stressful. Some reported events are extremely sad. So much anger, hatred, intolerance, ignorance, fear… eating away humanity. Makes me wonder what can I do – what can anyone do – to make things better.
* On the top of a tall tower I see a vast horizon filled with glittering lights. Barefoot, shaved head, dressed up with a sleeveless but long legs neoprene diving suit, I jump into the air. Like swimming underwater I hover way high above the ground but not for long. Suddenly free falling triggers a lifetime worth of memories.
* The Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) is still the law of the land.
* When I was a kid my very first camera was a Kodak Instamatic, a rather boxy chubby camera but incredibly easy to use. Even loading film was a no brainer, since it used ‘126 film’ which was a plug-and-play 35mm plastic cartridge. It supported this disposable flash called ‘Magicube’ – each side of the cube was a single bulb that would serve only for one shot, once a side was spent the cube will rotate for another flash until all four sides were done. The actual camera is no longer with me, but I still have some of the film negatives and prints….. not in a hard disk or flash card but in a cardboard box.